Multidimension desk: Jecky Barua

To be eligible for public housing (HLM), the applicant must meet the maximum annual income criteria. The maximum allowed income depends on the type of housing, its location and the number of family members concerned of the housing facility.

For 1 person, the maximum annual income must be below 27481 euros and for a family of 2, the total income must not exceed 36700 euros. For a young couple, it is 44134 euros. For a family of 3 members it must remain below 44134 euros (if there is only 1 earning member and 2 dependents, the ceiling could be 53281 euros).

To apply for social housing, the income of the year n-2 (current year-2) is taken into account. For example, if an applicant applies for social housing in 2022, the reference of income (référence de revenu) of 2020 will be taken into consideration that appears in the income tax return certificate of 2021.

After the registration of your application, the waiting time will depend on which areas you have chosen as ‘your preference’. It may take a couple of years. The applicant must renew his/her application every year within the time limit until he/she receives a proposition and his/her candidacy is accepted by the commission of the social landlord. If the renewal is not done in the time limit, the application could be closed. People rarely get propositions of social housing before passing through the mediation commission DALO (Droit au logement opposable).


When to refer your demand to the mediation commission (DALO)?

If you do not receive any proposal for social housing adapted to your situation after a long waiting period, you can refer the matter to the mediation commission (DALO). In general case, the waiting period for receiving a proposition is mentioned in the housing application certificate (attestation de demande de logement social). After that period, the applicant can refer his matter to the commission. Generally it could be more than 3 years, but it varies between different districts (département).

If you are homeless, or threatened with eviction, or if you are living in housing unfit for habitation, you can refer the matter to the commission without any time limit.

If the Commission does not give you its decision within the specified period (because nowadays it does not issue rejection letters in a large number of cases), you can refer the matter to the Administrative Court (Tribunal Administratif) within two months from the day following the date mentioned in the  registration letter of your application. And if you get a rejection letter from the commission, you can also refer the matter to the Administrative Court in the same manner.

On the other hand, if the decision of the commission is in your favour, if you are not given housing within the period of 6 months, then you can apply to the Administrative Court within two months from the day after the end of the period.


What is ‘Action logement’ and who are eligibles for the scheme?

Action logement is a housing scheme which was earlier known as 1% patronal or 1% Logement, i.e. employer’s 1% or 1% accommodation.

It is financed by the PEEC (participation of employers in the construction effort), paid each year by companies in the private sector and the agricultural sector with more than 50 employees. What does 1% accommodation mean? Until 1992, the rate of participation was set at 1% of the total payroll of the previous year. Today the PEEC represents 0.45% of the payroll.

The two main objectives of Action Logement are to help employees in their residential and professional mobility and to build and finance social housing.

Action Logement’s assistance reaches a wide spectrum of the population:

Employees of private sector companies with at least 10 employees
Employees of companies in the agricultural sector with at least 50 employees
Retired people, formerly employed in the private sector
Young people under the age of 30
First-time buyers
Jobseekers returning to work
Students with state grants
Disabled people

Action logement can extend support whether you are a tenant, looking for a home, a homeowner, want to make renovations of your house, have to move far away due to you job or have financial difficulties.